Saturday, March 19, 2011

The stomach flu made me happy

They say if March comes in like a lion, it goes out like a lamb.  I know one thing for sure... my family got a lion’s serving of sickness this March that made us as weak as lambs.
A stomach flu that lasted seven days.  Followed by colds and pink eyes.  As a mom, I was at my breaking point.  But when the dust settled, and I heard those little voices screaming, “I’m all better mom,” I realized that was all I needed to be happy.
Probably helps that I’m reading The Happiness Project by Gretchen Rubin for a book club at the moment.  But I realized that what I’m wearing, or what I’m eating, or where I’m going won’t ever make me as happy as having the people I love healthy. 
It also reminded me that when mom is sick, no one is well.  So the moms of the world have to take time to do things for ourselves.  Going for a walk, seeing a play, reading a book or flossing our teeth (come on moms... we can at least squeeze this luxury in).
And most important of all for moms is maintaining and growing our friendships.  This is better than any vitamin when it comes to staying healthy.  A dinner with friends who let you vent about life and allow you to feel normal in your craziness is like an antibacterial wash for your soul.
So make a reservation.  Take time for you.  Celebrate any given weeknight.  Laugh when you feel like crying.  And remember, when you have your health you have everything you need to be happy.  Which will leave you as strong as a lion and as lovable as a lamb.

1 comment: