Friday, February 11, 2011

Is 40 the new 4?

Remember when you were young, and everything was new and exciting?  When jumping in a puddle could make your day? 

And then something happened. 

Most of us got so involved in doing what we were supposed to do that we forgot to do what we wanted to do.

We finished high school and post-secondary.  We landed our first job and bought our first house.  We got married and had children. 

And then we threw all the balls up in the air and juggled until we ran out of breath. 

We love our family.  And we feel lucky to have our health.  But it seems that more and more people are waking up around 40 and thinking... is there something else I should be doing for me?  

The job pays the bills.  The cooking fuels the family.  But should I be training for a marathon?  Should I start growing my own organic garden?  Should I travel to a country I’ve never seen before?  Should I make the leap into a career that lights my fire instead of one that burns the midnight oil?

But where do we start?  By reading a book on a subject we love?  Seeing a movie that everyone is talking about?  Or running down the street, not for a jog but, to see how far we can go?

Life is what happens when you are making other plans.

So why not start making life a part of the plan?  And jump in a puddle once in a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment